Saturday, October 18, 2008

Road Hunting: The Greatest Idea EVER








I am a Provider!! Picture this...a group of grown men dressed in glaring orange hats and jackets riding in a truck with fully loaded shotguns. Everyone is on the lookout for movement in the tall grass alongside the gravel roads. When someone spots movement, they all jump out with their loaded shot guns and charge into the grass to make the birds pop up and then they start blasting! Ahhhh.....South Dakota.....only here are you not only allowed to drive around with loaded weapons in your lap, you are encouraged to do so in order to shoot the state bird. This is the most action-packed way to hunt pheasants but perhaps not the most rewarding. The alternative is to take out several guys and a couple of dogs and walk through the tall grass or cornfields to get the pheasants moving. The hope is that the dogs will make the pheasants pop up or at least make them run out into the open and then try to fly away. Once the birds are shot the dogs will find them and finish them off if they need it and then will bring them right back to you. Sometimes however you have to finish the birds off on your own and I now know where the phrase "wringing your neck" comes from. I am also learning all about different chokes on shotguns and the importance of buying the right size shot to do the job without destroying the bird. It is almost an art form! So far I have gone out two days and have killed two birds (I should probably have killed about 7 birds but I have a lot to improve on). Cort has been very supportive and enjoyed the Pheasant Poppers (jalapenos filled with cream cheese, rolled up in pheasant with bacon wrapped around it all) that we made from the first round of hunting. All in all, pheasant hunting has been a fun experience and a great new past-time.

2 comments:

Mae said...

Dave? Hello? Is that you? Just checking... ;) I have to say, the poppers do sound amazing!

Three Gals and a Guy said...

First of all, don't expect me to try any of your new recipes; I like the old stuff just fine. Second, I'm glad to see that a lack of disc golf and shopping haven't left you with nothing to do...miss you guys